Tornado Disaster Preparedness
BEFORE A TORNADO
- Prepare an emergency kit and make a family communications plan.
- Listen to NOAA Weather Radio, commercial radio, or television newscasts. Heed instructions given by local emergency management officials.
- Be alert to changing weather conditions and watch for approaching storms.
Danger Signs Include:
- Dark, often greenish sky
- Large hail
- A large, dark, low-lying cloud (particularly if rotating)
- Loud roar, similar to a freight train.
- If you see approaching storms or any of the danger signs, be prepared to take shelter immediately.
During a Tornado
- Go to an inside room without windows on the lowest floor of the building you are in.
For example: a bathroom, closet or center hallway.
- If possibly try to get under something sturdy like a heavy table or workbench
- Try to cover your body with a blanket, sleeping bag or mattress.